Are you tired of spending countless hours at the salon getting your nails done, only to have them look damaged and dull after a few weeks? If so, laser nail treatment may be the answer. Laser nail treatment is an innovative way to keep your nails looking healthy, strong, and beautiful for longer.
While many people are understandably embarrassed by toenail infections, they should realize that they’re far from alone. In fact, an estimated 50 percent of all American adults will experience an instance of nail fungus before they turn 70. There are a number of effective treatments for nail fungus, one of which is the laser nail treatment available at Austin Podiatry Centers. Here is a guide to the process:
In this guide, we’ll go over what laser nail treatment is and how it works, as well as its benefits and risks. So let’s dive in!
What Is Laser Nail Treatment?
Laser nail treatment, also known as laser nail resurfacing, is a procedure that uses targeted light waves to treat fungal infections and discolored or thickened nails. The heat generated by the laser light breaks down the fungus underneath the nail and stimulates healthier nail growth. It can also help reduce the thickness of overly thick nails, promoting a more natural appearance.
How Does Laser Nail Treatment Work?
During a laser nail treatment session, your technician will use a specialized tool to focus the laser on each of your nails. Depending on your individual needs, the technician will adjust the intensity of the laser light accordingly. It’s important to note that this is a painless procedure as there is no physical contact with your nails during the treatment.
Benefits of Laser Nail Treatment
Laser nail treatment has many benefits, some of which include:
- Improved appearance of your nails: By reducing the discoloration and thickness of your nails, you’ll have stronger and healthier-looking nails that are less prone to breakage.
- Minimal downtime: Since it’s a noninvasive procedure, you won’t need much time to recover afterward.
- Reduced risk of infection: Laser treatments can help kill off any existing fungal infections, ensuring that your nails stay healthy.
Risks of Laser Nail Treatment
Laser nail treatment is a relatively straightforward procedure. During the treatment, the infected area will be treated using a special laser. When the laser is focused on your nail, its wavelength obliterates the nail fungus and allows the nail to regenerate.
You don’t have to worry about pain. While it’s not uncommon to feel a slight sensation during treatment, using a laser on your toenail—which is made up of dead cells, after all—doesn’t hurt any more than trimming it. There is no recovery period required, and all patients will be able to resume their normal activity immediately after treatment.
Although laser nail treatment is generally safe, there are still some risks associated with it. Some of these risks include:
- Scarring: In rare cases, the laser beam can cause scarring on the surface of your skin. This can usually be prevented by wearing protective gloves during the procedure.
- Changes in skin pigmentation: Laser light can sometimes cause temporary changes in the color of your nails or surrounding skin. These changes should fade once the procedure is finished.
- Burns or discomfort: With improper handling, the laser beam can cause burns or cause discomfort from being too hot. That’s why it’s important to always follow all safety measures when undergoing this type of treatment.
It’s important to take proper care of your toenails after the treatment. Keep your feet and toenails clean, change your socks and shoes frequently, and check your nails regularly for signs of renewed infection.
Bail laser treatment is a safe procedure for most patients, but it’s not advisable for everyone. If you have severely sunburned skin, scleroderma, or skin cancer, the treatment could cause harm to your skin. It’s also a warning sign if you have previously used laser skin treatment and had a bad reaction to it. Talk to your podiatrist about any past skin problems you have experienced, and together you can determine what the best strategy is for treating your fungal nail infection.
All in all, laser nail treatment is a safe and effective way to keep your nails looking their best. Just make sure that you go to a reputable technician who follows all safety protocols and can provide you with satisfactory results. Happy pampering!